It’s the holiday season! Time for lights, shopping, presents, carols and of course FOOD! I just love being with my family at the holidays and sharing stories around the dinner table over ham and my grandma’s cheesy potatoes. Or late nights filled with snacks, games and laughs. It just makes me stop and continue to be thankful for each person in my life and forget all the stress and busyness that can also come with the holiday season.
As in year’s past, the Betty Crocker Kitchens have developed some Red Hot Trend recipes for this holiday season that are perfect for every occasion and event that you are going to attend. From to-die for desserts to fun and new cocktails, Betty always has you covered. I was asked to take one of the trends and do my own spin on it. The one trend that caught my eye had to do with communal foods. Foods that people gather around the table, or maybe even the kitchen island, and snack on together. Foods that are much more fun to eat with a crowd.
I am all over that. My family and friends L-O-V-E snacky apps that are warm, comforting and hit the spot over a late night card game or holiday movie. So I present to you my Baked BBQ Pork Sandwiches. My mouth is already watering.
First cook up some pork in the slow cooker. This is perfect to start out in the morning and cook all day so it is ready for your get-together in the evening. I used the recipe for Slow Cooker Kaula Pork but your favorite pork recipe will do splendidly!
Grab some fresh bakery buns and layer the bottom in foil covered pan.
Cover the rolls with slices of provolone. It is ok if they overlap. Trust me.
Next, I mixed my pork with some BBQ sauce and spooned it on top of the cheese.
Then put the top buns on.
Then, it is the best part. Cook some chopped onion in butter on the stove until onions are soft and cooked through. I also added some Worchestire sauce while cooking.
Then, spoon that buttery deliciousness all over the top of your sandwiches. The mouth-watering smell is to die for.
Pop them in a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes.
Remove from oven, and breathe in the delicious.
The buttery onion topping with the creamy, melty cheese and spicy barbecue is a sandwich everyone will want to get their hands on.
- 6 fresh bakery buns
- Shredded BBQ Pork (whatever your family loves)
- 1 pound sliced provolone
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
- Cook up your favorite slow cooker pork recipe and mix with barbecue sauce. It can even be made the night before and warmed up.
- Preheat oven to 350 and line baking pan with foil.
- Put bottoms of buns in the pan and cover with slices of cheese.
- Cover cheese with the barbecue pork mixture.
- Top with the tops of the buns.
- On stovetop, melt butter. Add onions, mustard and Worchestershire sauce and cook onions until soft. Spoon butter mixture over the top of the sandwiches.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted.