I love popcorn. I love cookies. How about a combo of the two? Yes. Just yes.
I am sure you are all familiar with Trader Joe’s. Trader Joe’s used to make a Kettle Corn Cookie that was my absolute fave. I mean it was such a favorite that I really couldn’t buy them because I could eat the whole container. They were that good. But alas, as seems to happen when someone has a favorite, they discontinued them. Gone. Bye Bye. Never again. Me equals sad.
However, a world famous blogger that I have followed for years, Smitten Kitchen, came out with a beautiful cookbook. I mean, the cookbook is gorgeous. And in said cookbook, she has a recipe for Buttered Popcorn Cookies. Could they be as good as my long lost faves from Trader Joe’s? I decided to give them a try.
I was very very happy to have my trusty KitchenAid to help mix it all the ingredients together. It is a tough cookie batter, but of course no match for my mixer. I also may or may not have snuck some pieces of buttered popcorn along the way. Stove-popped popcorn is the bestest.
After these came out of the oven and had a brief cool down, they were devoured. They were an amazing combo of sweet and salty. Crispy and delicious. I am a fan. Are they as easy as heading to Trader Joe’s and grabbing the pre-made tasties? No but they are very very close. And if you factor in the time it takes you to park and deal with all the hoards of people at TJ’s…these might just be way easier. 🙂
From Smitten Kitchen
- 4 to 4 1/2 cups popped buttered popcorn
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large bowl, cream together butter, sugars, egg and vanilla until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk flour and baking soda.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the butter-sugar mixture.
- Fold in popcorn so it is evenly distributed through the batter.
- Scoop tablespoon size mounds on baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until edges are light brown. Transfer to cooling rack.